Need LGX help
Warren Okuma
2004-01-30 22:48:38 UTC
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.

So far:
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Zul (Ghost busters)

Who am I missing?
Who would you add?

Thanks.
Joe Claffey Jr.
2004-01-30 23:22:43 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
I don't recall any undead in the 1988 version (with Bruce Willis). Was
there a remake, or another (lesser-known) film with the same title? :-)
Post by Warren Okuma
Zul (Ghost busters)
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
Blofeld (from the James Bond series)
the Cassadine family (General Hospital)
--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
***@cox.net | -- Daniel Burnham
Warren Okuma
2004-01-31 02:23:05 UTC
Post by Joe Claffey Jr.
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
I don't recall any undead in the 1988 version (with Bruce Willis). Was
there a remake, or another (lesser-known) film with the same title? :-)
They died, I had to bring them back somehow...
Robert Scott Clark
2004-02-03 03:12:57 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Wario
Dr. Robotnic
Il Duce's brain-in-a-jar. Hitler's so last week.
Voldemort
Hal
Alex (Clockwork Orange)
Hell, if we go Kubrick, Dr. Strangelove and Jack are other good choices.
Hannibal Lecter
Anime is full of great villians, but depending on the group those may not
be iconic enough - but hey, if they know anime at all, Boomers should make
fine villians.
Sil - or any "unique" aliens
Any "T" followed by some numbers
John Galt
If you're looking for single adventure villians, a disaster movie
"villian" might be a good challenge - giant asteroid anyone? Hell, you
could even give it a name.
Sorcier
2004-02-03 02:43:36 UTC
Post by Robert Scott Clark
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got
some
Post by Warren Okuma
villains and need more.
Hal
Alex (Clockwork Orange)
I'm still wondering if he wants to raid sci-fi that is obviously the
future, or just stick to present and recent past.
Oh, man, depending on reality levels: Gojira!
Warren Okuma
Mostly modern and recent past, thanks.
michael price
2004-02-29 11:36:24 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Wario
Dr. Robotnic
Il Duce's brain-in-a-jar. Hitler's so last week.
Voldemort
Hal
Alex (Clockwork Orange)
Hell, if we go Kubrick, Dr. Strangelove and Jack are other good choices.
Hannibal Lecter
Anime is full of great villians, but depending on the group those may not
be iconic enough - but hey, if they know anime at all, Boomers should make
fine villians.
Sil - or any "unique" aliens
Any "T" followed by some numbers
John Galt
A villain whose only crimes were to tell people they can stop working
and to interfere with a state radio broadcast? That's not exactly the
sort of foe's superheros are used to!
could even give it a name.
David Meadows
2004-01-31 00:19:28 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
Freddy.
--
David Meadows
Heroes: www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts/
A comic book -- without the pictures
Sea Wasp
2004-01-31 03:37:16 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Don't recognize this one.
Post by Warren Okuma
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Nit: **LARA** Croft!

Also, the Illuminati are a historical society who actually existed
at one time. The super-mega-conspiracy version of them, though, really
owes its popularity to the Illuminatus! trilogy.
Post by Warren Okuma
Who would you add?
The insidious Dr. Fu Manchu.

Moriarty must be in there somewhere, if you haven't already axed him.

Robur the Conqueror

Count Dracula

The Rami-tep from Young Sherlock Holmes might make an interesting
group (but then you'd have a different Moriarty).

(I have my own LXG in one game I was running, who included the Time
Traveller, Sherlock Holmes, and Professor Challenger)
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Pastor of Muppets
2004-01-31 04:21:22 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Don't recognize this one.
The main bad guy in The Usual Suspects. Last name is properly spelled
"Soze".
Post by Sea Wasp
(I have my own LXG in one game I was running, who included the Time
Traveller, Sherlock Holmes, and Professor Challenger)
I've done the same... adapted the LXG from the movie into the League
of Extraordinary Villainy, including the vampiric Mina, Mr Hyde, Nemo,
and Dorian Gray.

Let's see... you could use any one of a hundred versions of vampires
and/or werewolves

a Nazi fourth reich

Randall Flagg (Stephen King's The Stand)

and for that matter, quite a few King "villains":

The Crimson King (Dark Tower, et al)
IT
Jack Torrance (The Shining)
Carrie White (Carrie)

also:

Alex DeLarge and his droogs (Clockwork Orange)
Keys (E.T.)
Bill (Kill Bill)
the assorted assassins (Kill Bill)
Belloq (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
Mola Ram (Temple of Doom)
Donovan (Last Crusade)
Colonel Kurtz (Apocalypse Now)
Hannibal Lecter
Don Corleone (Godfather)
Marsellus Wallace (Pulp Fiction)
Cyrus the Virus (Con Air)
John Doe (Se7en )
Leon (The Professional)

-----
"There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
that this is the network built on... South Park."
- Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show
Sea Wasp
2004-01-31 13:48:01 UTC
Post by Pastor of Muppets
Post by Sea Wasp
[...]
I'm puzzled by a LOT of these -- not just yours, some of the prior
ones. They don't fit LXG at all. The whole POINT of LXG is Old Pulp.
It's Victorian Steampunk Action. It's Verne, Wells, and you can
stretch it up through the 30s pulp. But something from the latter part
of the 20th? No. Doesn't fit. The atmosphere is crucial. You could use
things like Gargoyle (Nadia: Secret of Blue Water), maybe, but not
James Bond.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Robert Scott Clark
Scroll up and look for the "^^^^^^"
Sea Wasp
2004-02-03 04:00:45 UTC
Post by Robert Scott Clark
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Sea Wasp
Post by Pastor of Muppets
John Doe (Se7en )
Leon (The Professional)
I'm puzzled by a LOT of these -- not just yours, some of the prior
ones. They don't fit LXG at all. The whole POINT of LXG is Old Pulp.
It's Victorian Steampunk Action. It's Verne, Wells, and you can
stretch it up through the 30s pulp. But something from the latter part
of the 20th? No. Doesn't fit. The atmosphere is crucial. You could use
things like Gargoyle (Nadia: Secret of Blue Water), maybe, but not
James Bond.
Scroll up and look for the "^^^^^^"
Yes, yes, I've already belatedly realized that and flagellated
myself for it. Ouch.

Still, if I were doing an LXG game, I'd do it in the original era, or
near to it. Doing it in the modern era... heck, it'd just be a variant
of my usual Modern Day Wierd. The Steampunk Adventure would be different.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Sorcier
2004-02-03 02:46:42 UTC
How about Captain Howdy, or the demon from Fallen?
Sorcier
2004-01-31 09:04:05 UTC
Post by Pastor of Muppets
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
Randall Flagg (Stephen King's The Stand)
The Crimson King (Dark Tower, et al)
IT
Jack Torrance (The Shining)
Carrie White (Carrie)
Heck, Christine.
The Firestarter would make either a good member or villian.
What's his name for Dead Zone would be a good member also.
Post by Pastor of Muppets
Alex DeLarge and his droogs (Clockwork Orange)
I'm assuming he's avoiding sources set in the (undefined) future.
Post by Pastor of Muppets
Don Corleone (Godfather)
Or his sons.
Warren Okuma
Thanks.
David Johnston
2004-01-31 08:58:30 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Nit: **LARA** Croft!
Also, the Illuminati are a historical society who actually existed
at one time.
The Illuminati were supposedly an organisation dedicated to the
overthrow of aristocratic and clerical power. Sort of the opposite
of the League of Darkness in the Jules Verne tv series who
were dedicated to restoring the fading power of the aristocrats
by creating an alliance between them and mad engineers.
I'm not entirely sure that the Illuminati ever really existed except
as an idea, though.

Post by Warren Okuma
Who would you add?
The insidious Dr. Fu Manchu.
Moriarty must be in there somewhere, if you haven't already axed him.
It's 2003. If there's a Moriarity in there there, it's the
Professor's great-great grandaughter. There was a busted
pilot for a series about a Sherlock Holmes who got frozen
until a cure was found for his infection with a fatal disease
by Moriarity, so that a female descendant of Dr Watson
would defrost and cure him. I was thinking at the time
it would have been fun if instead it had been a
descendent of Professor Moriarity who decided to
undo one of her ancestor's acts of villainy. Now Fu's
another matter. Since he actually has super biotechnology
I can see him extending his life into the present.
Sea Wasp
2004-01-31 14:06:28 UTC
Post by David Johnston
It's 2003.
Oh. I missed that critical, need to know piece of information in
the original, I think.

Disregard all previous silly posts.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Sorcier
2004-01-31 09:06:46 UTC
Post by David Johnston
It's 2003. If there's a Moriarity in there there, it's the
Professor's great-great grandaughter. There was a busted
pilot for a series about a Sherlock Holmes who got frozen
until a cure was found for his infection with a fatal disease
by Moriarity, so that a female descendant of Dr Watson
would defrost and cure him. I was thinking at the time
it would have been fun if instead it had been a
descendent of Professor Moriarity who decided to
undo one of her ancestor's acts of villainy. Now Fu's
another matter. Since he actually has super biotechnology
I can see him extending his life into the present.
Hm, there was a comic book whose name I can't recall that was
based on the premise that alot of the fictional Victorians had
become real long enough to have modern descendants. I know
Moriarty had one is the batch. Someone suprising had a
granddaughter rather than a closer coorespndance, but I
forget who.
Joseph Teller
2004-02-02 19:43:50 UTC
Post by David Johnston
The Illuminati were supposedly an organisation dedicated to the
overthrow of aristocratic and clerical power. Sort of the opposite
of the League of Darkness in the Jules Verne tv series who
were dedicated to restoring the fading power of the aristocrats
by creating an alliance between them and mad engineers.
I'm not entirely sure that the Illuminati ever really existed except
as an idea, though.
The Illuminati did exist historically, in parts of what became Germany
and Austria in the mid 1700s, although they may have been only
existant for about 5 years or so and never really did much of anything
except get a lot of aristocrats suspicious of secret societies in
general at the time.

They evidently did make some annoying proclomations and claims on
paper that got them notices and then banned.

Joseph Teller ***@mindspring.com
www.fantasylibrary.com
David Crowe
2004-01-31 08:16:12 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Zul (Ghost busters)
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
How about a master villain from a fighting game? M. Bison from Street
Fighter or Heihachi from Tekken are relatively down to earth and have big
plans and tons of minons.
--
David "No Nickname" Crowe ***@getnet.net Website being moved again

"This is nothing compared to Grand Theft Auto III, because you can't steal
a taxi cab, pick up somebody, then drive into the ocean with him."
-A modern young person on Space Invaders, from EGM.
Sea Wasp
2004-01-31 13:50:03 UTC
Post by David Crowe
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Zul (Ghost busters)
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
How about a master villain from a fighting game? M. Bison from Street
Fighter or Heihachi from Tekken are relatively down to earth and have big
plans and tons of minons.
Yes, Vega-Sama (the real name of "M. Bison") would work. You could
tweak him to fit in that era, I think, but you would definitely need
tweaking, as his original background relies on some 20th-century
situations. Going that route, you could certainly use some of the
characters from Soul Edge/Soul Blade.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Warren Okuma
Neat, did not think of this. I think I'll use it.
David Johnston
2004-01-31 08:46:53 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Zul (Ghost busters)
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
I'd add villains who are descendents of old heros.
For example, Doc Savage had a really freaky
upbringing. It's hard to believe he would get through
without becoming a monster. What if he had
a kid and decided to duplicate his father's
successful ubermensch program? Or how about
a successor Green Hornet who stopped pretending
to be a criminal and really became a crime boss?
Also you need Nazis. Everyone needs Nazis, living
proof that cartoon villains aren't as silly and implausible
as you might think.
Sea Wasp
2004-01-31 13:58:27 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
Cassanova Frankenstien
Undead guys from Die Hard
Zul (Ghost busters)
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
Also you need Nazis. Everyone needs Nazis, living
proof that cartoon villains aren't as silly and implausible
as you might think.
That's *REALLY* pushing the envelope for the LXG flavor/theme. The
Nazis are 50+ years ahead of the timeline, especially to be a major
threat. Nietzschean villains are reasonable, though.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Sorcier
2004-01-31 09:13:41 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
Hm, some version of a Terminator.
And some Predators.
Early scouts for the aliens from Indepence Day.
Escaped raptors from Jurassic Park.
Any number of slasher film serial killers,
Freddy, Jason, Michael Meyers, etc.
The weres and vamps from underworld.
The vamps from Blade.
The Hollow Man.
The kid from The Ring.
Throw in the portal from Timeline as a plot devise.
Heck almost anything from a Crichton novel.
Some of the baddies from the Harry Potter series.
Or from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
A few Highlander style immortals.
More to come...?
Warren Okuma
Thanks.
Corey Murtagh
2004-02-01 09:39:31 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
I'm running a League of Extrodinary Gentlemen in the year 2003. I got some
villains and need more.
The Mummy
Kaizer Soize
Illuminati (From Laura Croft)
And don't forget:

Knights Templar
Guild of Freemasons
Men In Black (classic style or from the movie)
Post by Warren Okuma
Cassanova Frankenstien
Good movie, but the character will probably need a little overhaul...
unless he's the comic relief villain :>
Post by Warren Okuma
Zul (Ghost busters)
This one I don't like. The Mummy above is powerful but beatable. Zul
on the other hand... without an appropriate way for the modern-day LXG
to smack him down he's way powerful.
Post by Warren Okuma
Who am I missing?
Depends on your definitions. LXG was all about classic literary
figures, both and fictional 'real'... or more precisely, /based/ on real
characters. The LXG members themselves were very high style, for the
most part. Modern literature isn't exactly rife with suitable
characters for the same type of setting, unfortunately.

How about picking a random popular actor and researching movies on IMDB?
For example, John Travolta:

Phenomenon, George Malley [hyper-genius psi, dying]
Face Off, Sean Archer and/or Castor Troy
Swordfish, Gabriel Shear

How about Arnie?

Running Man, Ben Richards
Last Action Hero, Jack Slater [fictional char in the 'real' world]
True Lies, Harry Tasker [super-spy]
Eraser, John Kruger

A few other possibilities:

Long Kiss Goodnight, Charly Baltimore
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, (various)
Unbreakable, David Dunn and Elijah Price
The Fly, Seth Brundle (the 1986 Jeff Goldblum version)
The Sentinel, Jim Ellison (1996 TV series)
Lethal Weapon 1-4, Martin Riggs

Some of those might fit, some not. I'm sure you can find more though :>
--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur!"
Andrew Austine
2004-02-02 05:55:27 UTC
Post by Corey Murtagh
Post by Warren Okuma
Who am I missing?
Depends on your definitions. LXG was all about classic literary
figures, both and fictional 'real'... or more precisely, /based/ on
real characters. The LXG members themselves were very high style, for
the most part. Modern literature isn't exactly rife with suitable
characters for the same type of setting, unfortunately.
Richard Marcinko (Rogue Warrior)
Grant Griffith (Rogue Warrior II:: Red Cell)
Wierd Al (UHF)
North Korea's leader (as presented in North Korean propoganda)
Osama
Jacque Cousto (SCUBA inventor)
Any X-Prize team, especially the rejected Gravity Control Technologies.
Extreme athletes
Olympic athletes (shooting events?)
Warren Okuma
Nice. I like the X-Prize team idea.
Perris63
2004-02-02 03:05:00 UTC
Now that alot have come through with suggestions, why not let us in on the
types of heroes you're using ... this might give some background as well as let
us in on the tyoe of characters/power level you're looking for.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Warren Okuma
2004-02-02 17:31:06 UTC
Post by Perris63
Now that alot have come through with suggestions, why not let us in on the
types of heroes you're using ... this might give some background as well as let
us in on the tyoe of characters/power level you're looking for.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Witchblade, Indiana Jones great grandson (with a nasty pistol), A powerful
werewolf, McGuiver's younger smarter brother, and Remo Willams.
Corey Murtagh
2004-02-07 12:15:28 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
Witchblade, Indiana Jones great grandson (with a nasty pistol), A powerful
werewolf, McGuiver's younger smarter brother, and Remo Willams.
Oh yeah, /definitely/ Remo... and Chiun, of course :>
Demi the C Monkey
2004-02-07 16:43:07 UTC
Post by Perris63
us in on the tyoe of characters/power level you're looking for.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Witchblade, Indiana Jones great grandson (with a nasty pistol), A powerful
werewolf, McGuiver's younger smarter brother, and Remo Willams.
don't forget that MacGyver has an actual son, who survived on his own
from the age of 13 (?) after his reporter mother was killed by chinese
soldiers as a dissident. and of course, he's got all his father's
gadgetry skills.

bitch_goddess is a fake. remove the dash and the letter after from the
other address to reply.
Doug McCrae
2004-02-29 22:33:30 UTC
Post by Warren Okuma
Who am I missing?
Who would you add?
Agent Smith and the rest from the Matrix. Drawback - Reality is an
illusion.
The alien from Species

Any heroes from other TV shows/movies are potential adversaries - you
just gotta think like a Marvel writer.
Warren Okuma